Call Us Now for Your Free Estimate!

866.429.5782
813.871.6610

24 Hour Emergency Service Available

Play It Smart and Avoid the Need for an Emergency Electrician!

Play It Smart and Avoid the Need for an Emergency Electrician!

You may have been trying to fix that old light switch that connects to the flickering overhead, but when sparks start flying it’s time to give it a rest. In any electrical emergency, the first step is to kill the power. That means knowing the location of your circuit breaker and how to operate it. With respect to circuit breakers, the "main disconnect" is the most important switch; shutting it off immediately kills all electrical power. Whether or not you would attempt electrical repairs yourself—and please don’t if you are not a licensed electrician—knowing where the circuit breaker is and how to shut off the power is critical in the event of an emergency.

When Appliances Spark, What Should You Do?

Beware of the "sparking appliance", as it can indicate larger electrical problems. A sparking appliance is identified by visible smoke. If an appliance is smoking, do not touch it. Rather, kill the power to the appliance by unplugging it, turning off any controlling wall switch, or turning off the breaker. Following this step, let the device cool off—and don’t plug it in again later hoping that it fixed itself. Call Hawkins to get the proper repairs.

The Dangers of Electrical Fires and What to Do If One Occurs

The Dangers of Electrical Fires and What to Do If One Occurs

In case of an electrical fire, do not attempt to extinguish it with water as this may cause death. Remember, water and electricity do NOT mix. Instead, immediately turn off the power via the circuit breaker, usher everyone outside, and then call the fire department from a safe place. In the event of electrical shock, do not touch the victim. Immediately shut off the main disconnect and call 911. If the victim is no longer in contact with the source, begin by checking their pulse and breathing and, if necessary, administer CPR.

Detecting Natural Gas in the Home and How to Respond

Detecting Natural Gas in the Home and How to Respond

Natural gas is odorless, so an odorant is added which gives it a “rotten egg” smell. A faint gas odor signifies that the pilot needs to be relit, but a strong odor signifies a problem. In such cases, promptly evacuate the home, avoid using any gas or electrical appliances, and avoid turning light switches off. Absolutely do NOT light any matches or use naked lights, and do not operate the telephone. Go to a safe place and call the gas company.

Call Hawkins Service Co. For All Emergency Electrician Repairs

Don’t wait until you need an emergency electrician! If you have concerns about faulty wiring or an outlet seems to be broken, call Hawkins today: 1-866-429-5782

Categories: General

How may we help you?

Get a free estimate by sending us a message!

Why Choose Us?

  • 24/7 Emergency Services Available
  • Financing Available
  • Serving All Tampa Bay Areas for Over 20 Years
  • Fast, Reliable Service
  • Focused On Providing Excellent Customer Service
  • Warranty Repair Services Offered