Electrical Panel Repair in Tampa Bay, FL Area
Professional Electrical Panel Repair in Tampa Bay
Your home’s electrical panel acts as a safety barrier between the wires coming into your home from your electric meter, and the electrical wiring in your home. A problem with your electric panel can increase your risk of a power outage, electrical fire, electrocution or electric shock, or damage to your home. At Hawkins Service Company, we offer electric panel inspections and electric panel repair in the Tampa Bay, FL area. Our experienced technicians can assess the safety, condition, and performance of your electrical panel and determine if you need repair, an upgrade, or a new electrical panel. Call us today to schedule an appointment for an inspection of your electric service panel.
What is an Electrical Panel?
An electrical panel or breaker panel is a metal box with a door that is usually attached to a wall in an out of the way part of your home, like a closet, basement, or hallway. Your home’s electrical panel contains breaker switches that control the flow of electricity to different parts of your home. These circuit breakers flip off automatically when too much electrical current is supplied to a specific area. This prevents a short circuit, power surge, electric shock, or electrical fire. The main parts of an electrical panel are:
- Breaker box – The breaker box is the actual metal box that holds all the parts of an electrical panel.
- Source wires – The source wires extend from your electrical meter into your breaker box. There are typically three source wires, two hot wires, and one neutral wire. The hot wires connect to the electrical panel’s disconnect switch, and the neutral wire connects to the neutral busbar.
- Main disconnect switch – The main disconnect switch connects the two hot wires before heading into the hot busbars. It is at the top of the breaker box and serves as the main breaker for the breaker panel. If this switch trips or you manually turn it off, the entire panel loses power.
- Hot busbars – The hot busbars are two bars that run down the center of the panel. They connect to the hot source wires and supply power to the panel and branch circuits. The circuit breakers run along the hot busbars.
- Neutral busbar – The neutral busbar connects the neutral source wire to the neutral wires from the branch circuits. It typically runs parallel to the hot busbars.
- Grounding busbar – The grounding busbar is the convergence point for all the grounding wires from the branch circuits. It is connected to the main grounding rod and is typically located near the bottom of the breaker box.
- Circuit breakers – The circuit breakers are the switches in the breaker box that run along the hot busbars. They are between the main power source and the branch circuits. Each branch circuit gets a circuit breaker. There are three main types of circuit breakers: standard, ground fault circuit interrupters, and arc fault circuit interrupters.
- Branch circuit wires – The branch circuit wires are neutral, ground, and hot wires that go out of the breaker box to form circuits in your home. There are typically three wires: hot (black), neutral (white), and ground (copper or green).
Signs You Need Electric Service Panel Repair
Watch out for the early warning signs that you need electrical panel repair so that you can prevent injury and safety hazards. Our experienced technicians can solve your electrical problems faster and easier if we catch the issue early enough. Call us today if you notice any of these signs you need electric panel repair:
- Circuit breakers that trip repeatedly
- An electrical system that operates on fuses
- A circuit breaker panel that is old or outdated
- Incorrect amp wiring
- A breaker trips when you plug in a specific appliance or use two appliances at once
- A hot panel
- Rust, corrosion, or other damage to your electrical panel
- A burning smell
- A burned area on the panel or on an outlet
- A buzzing or popping sound
- Frequently flickering or dimming lights
- Incorrect amp wiring
- Discolored outlets
- Melted or damaged wires
- Sparks or arcs from an outlet
- You can’t reset the breaker
Our Electrical Panel Repair Services
We offer comprehensive electrical services and electrical panel services, including:
- Electrical panel upgrades
- Electrical panel repair
- Circuit breaker replacement and repair
- Installing additional circuits
- Rewiring the electrical panel
- Busbar replacement
- Relocation of the electrical panel
Schedule an Electric Panel Inspection in Tampa Bay, FL
Call us today or contact us online to schedule an electric panel inspection in Tampa Bay, FL area. We’ll send one of our experienced technicians to your home to inspect your electric control panel for problems and damage. We will then give you our professional recommendation for electric panel repair, electric panel upgrade, or a new electric panel installation.